Echelon Network Links

Monday, August 9, 2010

Book Review: Till You Hear From Me by Pearl Cleage

Till You Hear From Me by Pearl Cleage
Amazon Rating: 5

Review by Tavares S. Carney

Different Road, Same Destination

Only child to a stern, know-it-all, old-school civil rights pastor emeritus, and an ultra-feminist mother, Ida B. Wells Dunbar finds her way, and herself, in this tale of old school vs. new school, family and politics.


Post-Obama campaign, Ida hopes to land a position working in the White House, especially after she and her father have worked so hard to help President Obama become elected. The challenge begins when the parent and child dynamic is rocked for differences of opinion, casual outbursts, media frenzy and people with alternative motives.

I particularly enjoyed the way Ms. Cleage wove themes of traditional and new ideologies, politics, community and family into this story. Some of the issues I found myself pondering while reading this selection were the emotional struggles an aging generation may face in passing responsibilities to a younger generation, and acceptance of new technologies and ways of doing things; the level to which some will go for the almighty dollar - greed; and, the importance of not only family, but the well-being of the community and the nation as a whole.

The characters in the story made it even more interesting. I found one of the characters, Miss Ionia, to be very direct, and she even made me laugh a few times. She was my favorite. I read this selection in 2 days, wanting to know what happened next and to finally get to the bottom of the mystery. I recommend this selection and will definitely consider other titles authored by Ms. Cleage.

Review by Tavares S. Carney

2 comments:

  1. She is one of my favorite authors ever since I read What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Dress. I buy everything she writes as soon as it comes out. I love that her writing makes you think while entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. This is my second Pearl Cleage read . . . I think I'm becoming a fan :-)

    ReplyDelete